About the job
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December). We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
In this role you will develop the skills and learn the process for approving appearance parts for color, appearance quality, and harmony. You will engage with suppliers, giving direction based on the product target and approving/rejecting parts. The Design Quality Team interfaces with Design and Engineering to gain an understanding of design intent and develops product with suppliers as a champion of that intent.
What To Expect
- Engage with suppliers to provide direction based on the product target and approval or rejecting parts.
- Conduct vehicle reviews to assess technical perceived and aesthetic quality of interior and exterior components – throughout development stages
- Coordinate with Tesla Product Excellence/Industrialization Teams to support color and appearance harmony reviews.
- Manage timing, parts documents (AARs) and the supply base through the supplier portal
What To Expect
Internships within Vehicle Engineering will be interdisciplinary in nature. This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Support various Safety System teams, including manufacturing controls, range certification testing, field quality, advanced driver assistance systems, passive safety crash & sled testing, or seat design.
- Support Chassis Engineering team in bringing systems from concept to production and beyond.
- Support Thermal Engineering in the implementation of thermal models and numerical solvers from scratch, pushing the limits of heat
- Support Body Structure Engineering design and optimize body systems on current and future vehicle programs.
- Assist in the development and design of assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Support Interiors Engineering in concept creation, production, tooling, manufacturing, validation and testing, launch and ramp of all interior components.
- Support the Exteriors Engineering team with direct involvement in designing, releasing and launching components for future vehicle lines including, but not limited to Front & Rear Fascia Assemblies, Wheel Liners, Underhood and Underbody Trim
Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary:
- Pursuing an advanced degree at any level, with a focus on engineering or relevant course work for this role
- Must meet minimum requirement for Color Blindness and Color Vision Skill Test (test will be administered during interview process)
- As an added advantage: Basic to intermediate knowledge of materials: textiles, leather, PUR, vacuum forming, colorants, paints, plating. Process/assembly knowledge: injection molding
- Working knowledge of automotive components
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools
- Strong communication skills and confidence when giving feedback
- Interest in hands on Technical Designing
- Dynamic problem solver
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.